What to Know about Snorkeling with a Seascooter Before You Book a
Seascooter and Snorkel Gear Equipment Drop-off Locations
- We rent seascooters at two locations on the island of
Providenciales: Smith's Reef (accessible from the Turtle
Cove area) and The Bight Reef (accessible from Grace Bay
Beach next to the Coral
Gardens hotel). (The island of Providenciales is
sometimes shortened to "Provo" when referenced.)
- We do not pick you up at your hotel or villa. You
meet us at the rental location.
- If you are not familiar with the area, and want to see where the
snorkeling spots are in reference to the hotels, check out this map
of Grace Bay
Snorkeling at Smith's Reef
- Smith's Reef is made up of several small coral heads next to each
other. This is why it is helpful to use a seascooter when snorkeling
at Smith's Reef. The shore can be a bit rocky when entering and
leaving the water. Because the reef is located near Turtle Cove
marina, there will usually be some waves created from boat traffic
entering and leaving the marina. Tidal currents can also be stronger
here. Due to these conditions, we recommend that less experienced
snorkelers choose the Bight Reef.
- The place to park at Smith's Reef is not marked well. To find it,
head towards the Turtle Cove area and turn down Bridge road. Follow
Bridge road towards the Yacht Club resort. Hang a right at the fork
(onto Coconut Road) and keep going past several houses before coming
to a parking area for beach access. There are only a few parking
spaces and it looks like you are parking in front of someone's
house. There is a small yellow sign for "Beach Access" next to the
path to the beach. It is a good idea to look at a map before getting
in the car. You can look at this
map for Smith's Reef and you should park at the area
- Once on the beach, hang a left and keep walking until you see a
person wearing a bright orange shirt with a beach cart. Check out a
helpful satellite version of Smith's
Reef map .
- We will meet you on the beach where it is best to enter the water.
From there, you can use the seascooter to explore the different
coral heads that make up Smith's Reef. Keep in mind, the walk from
where you park your vehicle to the spot you enter the water takes a
few minutes so please plan accordingly in order to get your full 50
minutes in the water.
Snorkeling at The Bight Reef
- The Bight Reef is one large coral reef that is roped off in the
center. The roped off area is protected and marked with large orange
buoys. You cannot swim within the roped off area. Don't worry
though. There is plenty to see around the edges of the protected
area. Entering and exiting the water at the Bight Reef is easy via a
nice sandy dune. We will meet you on the beach near the roped off
area. Look for the person wearing a bright orange shirt with a beach
cart, to the left of the Somewhere Cafe restaurant, when you are
facing the water. You can see the designated meeting spot on the Bight Reef
- The Bight Reef tends to more popular with snorkelers because it is
on Grace Bay Beach near several hotels. You will see more people on
the beach and in the water at this location.
- Some of the chairs on the beach are for the guest of the Coral
Gardens hotel, but you can rent chairs and umbrellas here too, which
- To park at the Bight Reef, head towards Somewhere Cafe at Coral
Gardens hotel, and park on the side of the road when you reach the
roundabout. You can see the parking area on the Bight Reef map and you
will see other cars parked at the entrance to the beach near the
parking lot for the Coral Gardens hotel. This area can be crowded,
but parking along the sides of Penn's Road is allowed. Please do not
Both locations have beautiful corals, colorful reef fish, lobsters,
turtles, barracudas and you might be lucky enough to see the occasional
nurse shark or sting ray cruise by. For more about what you might see in
the water, check out the Snorkeling
page. Are you interested in renting a
seascooter at a different location? We may be able to accommodate your
request. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
provide specific details of the location.
What is a Seascooter
- A seascooter is a motorized device which propels you through the
- The speed can be up to 3 mph. (The smaller scooters for children
go up to 2.5 mph.)
- Seascooter batteries typically last between 45 - 55 minutes,
depending on size of the operator and how frequently the operator
uses the throttle (i.e. it will stay buoyant even when not using the
throttle. This lets you stop and take a picture or chill with a sea
turtle.) Remember the battery time is approximate and will depend on
- A seascooter is easy to use. You hold it with both hands and press
a simple throttle control on the handles in order to move through
- We also provide you with fins, mask and snorkel as part of the
rental. If you want to use your own snorkel gear that is fine too.
Please let us know that when you book your rental.
- There is an action camera attachment for GoPro or similar type of
cameras on the seascooter, so please bring your action camera in an
underwater housing, if you have one!
- The water temperature is usually between 79 - 89 degrees.
- The water is typically clear with visibility of at least 50 feet
or greater, but there are days when the water can be a little less
clear. You will still be able to see the reefs just fine as both are
close to the surface.
- This is the ocean so there will be some waves and currents at both
- We do not recommend a novice swimmer or snorkeler operate a
This is not a Tour
- We do not accompany you in the water.
- You must know how to swim and this should not be the first time
you try snorkeling.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult.
- Children must be over the age of 8.
- Children must be able to swim independently.
- When booking a seascooter for a child on our website, we define
child as 8 - 15 years old because a child over the age of 15 will
typically need to use an adult size scooter.
- Everyone must sign a waiver before entering the water with a
seascooter. (Guardians sign on behalf of minors.)
- There are creatures, corals and objects in the ocean which can
hurt you. Do not touch anything and use caution.
- We can only accommodate groups of 4 people or less.
- The seascooter has a leash which goes on your wrist. This is in
case you unintentionally let go of it. It should stay buoyant, but
may drift away from you. Do not take off the leash while in the
water for any reason.
- You are responsible for returning the seascooter, undamaged, back
to us at the end of your rental.
- We do NOT pick you up at your hotel or villa. We bring the
equipment to the beach and meet you there. Check out a satellite
version of Smith's
Reef map and the surrounding area of Turtle Cove and/or
Reef map and surrounding area.
- The weather in the Turks and Caicos Islands is typically
beautiful. Keep in mind that these are small islands so the weather
can change rapidly. It can be raining in the morning and sunny in
- Check the weather prediction for the day of your rental. The Windfinder
site has a detailed view of the weather for Grace Bay.
- If you decide to cancel your reservation due to weather (or any
other reason) you must call us at least 24 hours in advance to
receive a full refund.
- Should we decide that the weather is causing unsafe conditions for
snorkeling, we will contact you and cancel your reservation.
- We recommend reserving your rental snorkeling seascooter a few
days in advance on our website.
- The website will charge your credit card at the time of the
- We use PayPal as our credit card processor. You do need to create
an account login with PayPal, but you pay using a credit card.
- You should receive a confirmation email including the date, time
and location of the rental as well as an email receipt from PayPal,
confirming your payment.
- If inclement weather is predicted for the day of your reservation,
we will cancel the reservation and try to accommodate your
reservation on another day, if possible.
- If you do not see the day or time available that you would like to
book, please give us a call at (800) 686-0904 or send us an email email@example.com
and we will try to accommodate you, if possible.
- We have a 24 hour cancellation policy for a full refund. You must
call us at least 24 hrs in advance of your rental time in order to
receive a full refund.
- Call (800) 686-0904 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
as soon as you know that you will need to cancel your reservation.
- Should we need to cancel your reservation for any reason, we will
issue you a full refund and try to let you know as far in advance as
- Sorry, but if you do not show up for your rental time, you will
not receive a refund.
- We can only wait 15 additional minutes past the scheduled rental
time for you. We cannot wait any longer than 15 minutes without
jeopardizing our other customers' schedules. Please be cognizant of
the time of your rental and try to show up 5 to 10 minutes early.
- Should you realize that you are going to be late for your rental
time, please call us immediately at (800) 686-0904.
- If you are more than 15 minutes late for your scheduled rental
time, we will consider you a no-show for the rental. You will NOT
receive a refund.
Seascooter and Snorkel Gear Rental Rates
Rental rates include taxes. All rentals are for a duration of 50
minutes. (See above section "What is a seascooter" for note about
battery life.) All seascooter rentals include snorkel gear, but you
are welcome to bring your own as well. We can accommodate up to 4
people at one time.
seascooter rental = $56.00
2 seascooter rentals = $90.00
3 seascooter rentals = $125.00
4 seascooter rentals = $160.00
Hours of Operation
All rentals are for a duration of 50 minutes. Current rental schedule
applies to both locations. If you do not see the day or time available
that you would like to book, please give us a call at (800) 686-0904
or send us an email email@example.com
and we will try to accommodate you, if possible. Please try to
show up 10 minutes early in order to get your gear set up and hear a
Monday - Saturday: 10:00 am or 2:00 pm
Sundays and Holidays: Closed
What to Bring
- Reef safe sunscreen or rash guard
- Water or something hydrating to drink
- Underwater camera: there is a mounting point on the seascooter for
action cameras like GoPro
- You are welcome to bring your own snorkel gear, but we will
provide snorkel, fins and mask as part of your rental.
Any other questions about seascooter snorkeling?
Call us during business hours at 800-686-0904 or send us an email at
firstname.lastname@example.org If you are interested in
reserving a time or location which is not available on the website,
please send us an email with your request. We may be able to